Milton scores try in Malvern defeat

First published in Rugby

Dudley Kingswinford 41, Malvern 19.

MALVERN suffered their fifth defeat of the season in the National Three Midlands at in-form second-placed Dudley Kingswinford. While the visitors started sluggishly, the home side took the ball on from the kick-off, winning a penalty to open the scoring.

In the sixth minute, a penalty kick took DK deep into the Malvern 22, the resultant catch- and-drive ended with a home scrum.

From this, ex-Worcester and Coventry playmaker Jon Higgins nipped through a static Malvern defence to score a converted try.

Malvern then took the ball into DK territory, but two kickable penalties were missed which would have brought them back into the game.

Outside-centre Adam Billig then made good inroads but having released the ball, the opportunity was wasted. Malvern were made to pay as the technically-gifted DK pack took the ball on a Malvern put-in and fed it to inside-centre Stefan Shillingford who scored after a dummy scissors move.

They followed this up with a running move by the back line for a third try by Ian Langford on 21 minutes, then secured the bonus point five minutes later with a kick and chase try from Farrington.

Malvern were being outplayed up-front and secured little good ball, but when they did get it in hand, they looked dangerous.

Having decided to salvage something from a game already looking lost, they moved the ball at pace and Luke Milton joined the line to score in the corner on the half-hour. This made it 27-5 at the break.

Malvern started the second period with great resolve and battled into the home 22.

A penalty followed by a catch- and-drive seeing Chris Griffiths go over in the corner and Adam Dixon converting.

DK responded when Higgins again called a play which saw Shillingford take a delayed pass to wrong foot the defence and score a converted try.

Malvern kept plugging away after weathering more DK pressure and a Dixon grubber kick saw Milton speed through to collect and score to make it a more respectable 34-19.

However, as Malvern tried to finish the match in style by running the ball with an overlap from behind the goal-line.

Jon Tideswell intercepted a lofted pass to touch down for a final converted try.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree