SAM Rawlings' header deep into stoppage time denied Malvern Town all three points on the opening day of the Hellenic League Premier season as Westfields pinched a late point.

Matt Turner opened his account for the new campaign inside ten minutes as he beat keeper Ian Havard to a looping Luke Payne cross to nod the hosts ahead.

Malvern then hit the post twice as they looked to double their lead before Sean Powell's stunning 25-yard volley equalised for the visitors just after the half-hour mark.

The hosts came under pressure in the second-half but Turner showed his deadly touch with 15 minutes to play as he lashed home from close range but with time in the red, Sam Rawlings headed home at the back post to equalise.

It took just eight minutes for the hosts to open their account for the season as Matt Turner beat Westfields' keeper Ian Havard in the air to a hanging cross from new right-back signing Luke Payne.

The hosts could have doubled their lead moments after as Ben Hayes went through on goal after a mix-up at the back from Westfields but the winger's shot was deflected just wide.

It was all Malvern for the opening 15 minutes as the visitors struggled to live with their opponents and Turner in particular, as the striker was only prevented a second by the post after a neat exchange of passes with Harry Clark down the left.

Westfields did finally manage an effort on goal after 20 minutes when the ball broke free to Daniel Stoneman in the Malvern box, only for his drilled effort to miss the target.

The upright again came to the visitors' rescue as another debutant, Jack Horrell, crashed a free-kick off the near post as Malvern pushed for a second.

But the early momentum stalled as the half wore on and Westfields began to see more of the ball.

The equaliser came out of nowhere in the 34th minute, but what a goal it was.

A hanging clearance dropped perfectly to Westfields left-back Sean Powell about 25 yards out on the left and he watched it all the way down before rocketing a volley first time into the top corner, past a statutory Keiron Blackburn.

The first chance of the second-half came the way of the hosts but Harry Clark could not find the net from 8 yards out after a cut-back from Joe Bullock.

There were strong penalty appeals from the visitors waved away by the referee Adam McAnoy as Stoneman was shoved over in the box before the same player than rifled one just over after cutting back onto his left foot.

The second period was more of a tussle, with chances at a premium as the game edged towards the final 15 minutes of the game.

But just when the game looked like it was going to finish level, Turner put the home side back ahead as a loose ball found it's way to the striker, who took one touch out of his feet before burying a finish past Havard to make it 2-1.

Westfields pushed for an equaliser late on and in the 93rd minute they got it as an inswinging corner was not dealt with and captain Rawlings bundled the ball over the line.