10-man Malvern Town just about held on at Brimscombe & Thrupp to progress to the next round of the Hellenic League Challenge Cup after a 3-2 win.

Following a goalless first-half, an own goal and strikes from Matt Turner and Joe Bates put the visitors 3-0 up mid-way through the second period.

The Hillsiders then went off the boil and Ben Baxter pulled one back with ten minutes to play before Bates was then sent off in the 87th minute for a second yellow card.

A handball in the box almost immediately afterwards enabled Brimmy's James Campbell to make it 2-3 from the spot but they could not force an equaliser and Malvern got over the line to set-up a clash with Clanfield 85 in the next round.

After their 3-1 victory over Westfields last weekend, Malvern headed to Brimmy in confident mood as they looked to progress further in the Challenge Cup.

But it was the hosts who had the first effort as Harlie Price fired into the side netting.

Malvern's first foray forward saw a low across from Harry Clark cleared ahead of the approaching Turner and he then the striker stung the palms of the keeper soon after.

Turner had a great chance to open the scoring on the 20-minute mark after a lovely cross from Bates but again the number nine could not convert as he sent it wide.

Clark then had one cleared away from goal after rounding the keeper just after Brimmy had an effort on goal flash wide from Samuel Foulkes.

Malvern were pushing and another one was cleared off the line to deny Bates before Kyonn Evans dipped a shot over the bar with the final kick of the half.

Not at their best in the first-half, Town certainly came out a changed side following the interval.

They took the lead when Turner got a delicate touch on a dangerous delivery from the left and one became two in the 55th minute when Nathan Chowns-Higgs' shot on goal was headed into his own net by Brimmy's Elijah Simpson.

The game looked to have been settled just after the hour mark when Clark and bates combined for the latter to sweep home and make it three.

3-0 up, malvern then took their foot off the gas and were caught cold with ten minutes left as Baxter met the ball at the back post to give them some hope.

Seven minutes later Bates received his second booking and when Campbell slotted a penalty following a handball just seconds later, it set-up a grand stand finish.

But Malvern just about clung on to limp over the line and reach the next round on Saturday at home to Clanny.