MALVERN RFC drew a league match for a second time this season following their spirited comeback against Ludlow at Spring Lane on Saturday.

With the 2023/24 Regional 2 Midlands West campaign just four games old, Malvern have already encountered two draws after they produced a strong second-half to come from 14-0 down to end the game 21-21. 

But it was the worst possible start for the home side at the weekend as they lost their influential centre and head coach Ieuan Mustow to a dislocated shoulder in the opening stages of the contest.

Malvern, who still looked in a state of shock, began conceding sloppy penalties which allowed the side from Shropshire too many opportunities. Soon after, Ludlow scored the opening try of the game after knocking on the Malvern’s door for several minutes.

Dan Batty missed an opportunity to reduce the deficit from the tee and a period of pressure deep in Ludlow's half from the hosts also ended without any points as mistakes and ill-discipline crept into Malvern's game.

That ultimately led to another Ludlow try before half-time as the visitors opened up a healthy lead, which could have been more if they had slotted a penalty attempt just before the interval. 

There must have been something in the Malvern water at half-time time as within minutes of the restart, Batty carved his way under the sticks to halve the deficit with a try and conversion. 

And then, immediately after the restart, sound hands across the back-line provided Henderson Jonathan with some space, and the winger evaded a weak tackle and ran in from 20 metres.

Batty added the extra two points and all of a sudden the game was tied up at 14-14.

Malvern had the momentum by this point and those on the sidelines were being treated to some vintage rugby and Lewis Hardiman nearly scored an absolute worldie of a try after a neat chip and chase deep in his team’s half.

Frustratingly for the hosts, however, Malvern then conceded after failing to clear their lines following some sloppy hands. This was a sucker punch for the home side who had their sights on a comeback victory.

But they would not be denied a share of the points as Byron Eacock crashed over and Batty's conversion earned Malvern a 21-21 draw.

There were chances for both sides to win the game in the closing stages but in the end the points were shared. 

Malvern are away at Stow-on-the-Wold on Saturday afternoon (3PM kick-off).