Malvern RFC were celebrating on Saturday after a thumping 52-10 win over local rivals Worcester.

The atmosphere at Spring Lane was bubbling pre-match as the volunteers and sponsors were being treated inside the clubhouse.

Malvern immediately brought the heat to the pitch and after a solid scrum in midfield, Harvey Smedley ventured into the Worcester 22. 

The ball was quickly shipped to Lewis Hardiman who scorched over to make it 5-0.

Malvern Gazette: Malvern beat Worcester convincingly at the weekendMalvern beat Worcester convincingly at the weekend (Image: Malvern RFC)

From the restart, Malvern began applying further pressure through the Worcester midfield and benefitted from a fine nudge to the corner from Dan Batty.

Worcester, who were now deep in their own half, struggled to hold onto the ball which allowed the energetic Tom Bill to go over. 

With the score now at 10-0, Malvern began firing on all cylinders. Following a clearance from Smedley, and a mistake from a Worcester player, Finn Potter scored Malvern’s third try which was, for the first time on the day, converted by Dan Batty to make it 17-0.

From the restart, Worcester found themselves inside the Malvern 22 and managed to score in the corner following some neat play in the midfield.

A moment of brilliance from Malvern’s player/coach Ieuan Mustow led to the next score as he shrugged off a high tackle and ran in from 50 yards. 

Malvern were going through the gears and man-of-the-match Smedley was unlucky not to get on the score sheet following a marauding run down the left wing which ruled out for being in touch. Just before half-time, former Upton player Franco Bent, galloped over to finish a fine Malvern move. 

READ MORE: Malvern Town lose 4-2 to Mousehole in the Isuzu FA Trophy

Early in the second half, Giggle went over following an excellent Smedley offload. The game, which was being played in unusual heat, lost its magic somewhat until Finn Potter crossed over for his second of the game. 

After a period of pressure from Worcester, Malvern began juggling the ball inside their half resulting in a big chance for Worcester under the sticks. It wasn’t long after this when Worcester did, deservedly, cross the line to make it 45-10.

Instantly after the restart, Finn Potter was held up over the line following a break from Lewis Hardiman.

Moments later, Lewis Hardiman finished the scoring off for Malvern as he carved through the tired Worcester backline and placed down under the sticks. Batty converted to make the score 52-10.