IT was a title-winning weekend at Upton RFC as both the men's First Team and Colts produced brilliant wins to clinch their respective championships.

On Saturday, the first team concluded their 2024/24 Counties 4 Midlands West (South) campaign with a trip to fourth-placed Birmingham Exiles and it was a fitting end to their season.

Both sides went for it and put on a show for those in attendance but a last-minute penalty from Upton sealed a dramatic 32-29 win to ensure it was they who lifted the trophy.

It has been a season in which they have led from the front for the majority, despite being put under pressure from the likes of local rivals Malvern 2s, Droitwich and Exiles at different points in the last seven months.

But with a record of 19 wins - 13 bonus points included - from 20 matches, Upton were the worthy winners. 

It was then up to the Colts on Sunday to make it two titles in two days for the club. They knew only a win would do to wrap up the league but it was anything but straight-forward on the day.

With Alcester breathing down Upton's neck in the standings, it had to be a win for an Upton side who only took 16 players to their game at Burntwood.

The visitors chose to play up the hill in the first-half and it was a decision that, in the end, paid off for captain Eze Jonathan.

Burntwood started well and took the lead before Ethan Palmer scored a brilliant solo try, that was converted by Lewis Jugessur for a 5-7 lead.

But that was as good as it got for Upton in the first-half as Burntwood made use of the slope to cross three more times to make the score 26-7 and leave the visitors' title hopes seemingly in tatters.

Upton were determined not to let their opportunity for glory go to waste and they started the second-half with a try from Jacob Powles, again converted by Jugessur.

It remained 26-14 until the final 20 minutes, when Upton threw the kitchen sink at Burntwood and two tries in quick succession turned the game on its head.

Tom Pryce-Jones finished a flowing team try; beating a few defenders as he cut back inside to score.  Rupert Woodley then crashed over after a period of concerted Upton pressure. 

Jugessur's conversions put Upton into the lead for the first time at 26-28.

The game’s crucial try came 10 minutes later, with time almost up. A great team move put back rower Rupert Woodley through the gap and he produced a finish in the corner that an international would be proud of. Jugessur maintained his 100% record from the tee with a superb touchline conversion to make it a nine-point game.

Burntwood managed a score in the final play but it would not be enough to stop the celebrations as Upton claimed the title with a hugely entertaining 35-33 win.