Worcester City and Malvern Town will be looking to take the positives after heavy defeats in pre-season friendlies.

City lost 4-1 to Cinderford Town at Claines Lane on Friday night (July 17), while Malvern were beaten 4-0 by Hereford on Saturday.

Worcester started strongly against Cinderford but found themselves two-nil down at the break thanks to goals from Emmett and Bartman.

Both teams made a raft of changes at half-time but Cinderford maintained momentum, extending their lead through Scotford.

Sam Whitton pulled a goal back for City with a low strike into the bottom corner, but the visitors soon killed off any hopes of a comeback with a fourth goal through J Haswell.

City continue their pre-season schedule with a trip to Goytre AFC on Saturday, July 23.

Malvern were made to work in the heat against Hereford, conceding two goals in each half.

The visitors made a bright start and were in front after just two minutes, one of Hereford’s trialists slotting home.

Kieron Blackburn in the Malvern goal made a couple of good saves before the Hillsiders created their first chance of the game, Harry Clark heading inches over the bar following a drilled cross from Luke Payne.

Hereford doubled their lead on 20 minutes when another trialist scored following a swift counter attack.

Blackburn made more good saves before the end of the half as Hereford threatened to extend their lead.

Defender Adam Sauntson also made a block and a well-timed tackle as Malvern toiled in the heat.

Malvern started the second half brightly, Joe Bates and Joe Bullock both going close before Bates saw appeals for a penalty waved away.

Hereford then rattled the crossbar from a freekick and saw an effort scrambled off the line, before introducing a number of first team players and upping the pressure.

Pinchard saw an effort well saved by Blackburn and when the resulting corner made its way back to the Hereford man, he whipped in an inviting cross which was headed home by Haines to make it 3-0.

The visitors even found time for a fourth, Storey firing home from close range as the clock ticked down.