MALVERN Town made a winning start to their pre-season programme with a 2-1 victory over Stourport Swifts at the HDAnywhere Community Stadium on Thursday night.

Striker Harry Clark and midfielder Joe Bates were on the scoresheet as the Hillsiders recorded an impressive win over their Worcestershire counterparts.

Town started brightly and went ahead in the seventh minute when a lovely ball from Joe Bullock found Harry Clark, who delicately touched the ball beyond the ‘keeper.

A probing ball into the danger zone from the visitors was turned wide in front of goal and then a header from a corner crept just wide as Swifts started to get into their stride.

With 19 minutes on the clock, Kieron Blackburn did well to save from point-blank range and then at the other end, a sharp breakaway down the left ended with the ball finding its way across to Bates, whose strike went just wide.

As the clock ticked past the half-hour mark, Turner broke into the area and went through one-on-one with the ‘keeper but was unable to convert.

Town were punished for not taking their chances as the visitors levelled matters with ten minutes to go until the break.

The home side almost responded immediately when Bullock went agonisingly close to scoring and despite Turner again creating a chance, the referee brought an end to the half at 1-1.

It took just nine minutes for Malvern to regain their lead.

Turner showed good determination out wide before picking out Bates in space and he made no mistake as he rifled home.

It took a good save from Blackburn shortly afterwards to keep them in front as the visitors fought back.

A couple of brave blocks and then another smart save from Blackburn denied Stourport an equaliser on 60 minutes.

Both sides continued to go back and forth but there was no change to the scores and Malvern recorded a 2-1 win.

Malvern Town: Blackburn, Smith, Platt, A. Sauntson (Timmins 46), J. Sauntson, Loader (Parker 67), Febery (Fusco 46), Bullock, Bates, Clark, Turner (Chowns Higgs 67).

Goal(s): Clark, Bates