MALVERN Town began life in Hellenic Football League Division One West with a 7-1 victory at Newent Town last night.

The comfortable victory was the perfect preparation for Saturday's Emirates FA Cup home tie with North West Counties Football League Premier Division side Whitchurch Alport (3pm).

Malvern, who then visit Thornbury Town in the league on Tuesday (7.45pm), will host the extra preliminary round game at Westfields' Allpay Park ground in Hereford.

This is due to the ongoing pitch and ground development work at the HDanywhere Community Stadium.

Harry Clark bagged a hat-trick in the victory at Newent.

Summer signing Ben Miller's early low strike from the edge of the box was saved.

A free-kick from Miller rattled the woodwork before Clark put the rebound over as the hosts had to defend in numbers.

Newent lobbed a chance wide which led to Malvern getting their passing game together.

On-loan Ethan Moran had a low effort saved before the visitors finally went ahead on the stroke of half-time.

A long ball over the top set Kyonn Evans racing away. He cut inside and took the ball around the keeper before teeing up Miller to fire home.

It took Malvern just seconds after half-time to double the advantage when Miller burst into the area and his strike hit the woodwork before going in off an unfortunate defender.

Clark, Miller and Harry Wickett went close but Newent reduced the arrears just before the hour after seizing upon defensive hesitation.

However, Malvern quickly made it 3-1 when Evans hit the woodwork and Clark forced the rebound home at the second attempt.

Clark headed in the fourth goal following another inviting cross from the right.

Moran was denied by a save before a loose ball out of defence was punished by Clark for the fifth goal.

On 82 minutes Louis Loader's free-kick hit the bar but substitute Bryan Craven soon stabbed home the sixth at the second attempt.

Curtis Smith completed the scoring when he arrowed the ball home after a run from deep.