AN EARLY strike from Josh Burns was enough for Ledbury Town Reserves to gain revenge over lowly Ewyas Harold Reserves at New Street.

Town slumped to a disappointing 4-2 defeat to the Herefordshire FA County League Division One strugglers a fortnight ago.

But there was to be no slip-up on this occasion as Burns netted just five minutes in. The striker should have added to his account but Town failed to increase their lead.

With key personnel Dave Preece, Ben Febery, Luke Cox and Sam Lane all unavailable the home line-up received a major shake-up.

But Ledbury got off a fast start as Kieran Loveridge put the ball just shy of the far post before a more definitive strike from Burns hit the back of the net.

Burns then spurned the first of countless opportunities to extend his tally when his 10-minute effort on the rebound was blocked.

He was a constant threat though as his free-kick whistled wide of the woodwork before being thwarted by the keeper.

A slight fracas blotted Ledbury’s copybook just before the interval when Alistair Holder received his side’s one and only yellow card after coming to blows with a visiting defender.

The second period began in much the same fashion as the first with Sam Branch catching the opposing defence off-guard only to send his shot directly at the keeper.

At the other end stopper Matti Holder made a close-range save on the 51st minute to deny Ewyas Harold.

A Mark Taylor free kick was palmed over the bar before the skipper went close with another shot from a dead-ball situation.

A golden opportunity then went begging as Taylor put the ball wide while trying to beat the visiting keeper after going through one-on-one.

Burns also missed a further chance late on and Ian Bennett suffered a torn meniscus but the hosts did enough to secure all three points.

Ninth-placed Town tackle Orleton at New Street on Saturday (2.30pm).

Ledbury Town’s first-team ran out 6-3 winners against lowly Tenbury United at Palmers Meadow.

But the Premier Division clash was marred by Pete Jeynes’ nasty head injury which required the winger to be taken to hospital.

Curt Williams netted a first-half hat-trick with Samuel Palmer-Young, Matt Rooke and Joe Bullock also on target for the visitors.

Town travel to bottom club Kington Town on Saturday (2.30pm).