MALVERN Town battled out a deserved three West Midlands League Premier Division points courtesy of a 2-1 victory at a chilly Wellington.

Kyonn Evans scored the second-half winner after Matt Fusco's early opener was quickly countered by their Herefordshire hosts.

Town host AFC Bridgnorth on Saturday (3pm) after remaining fifth in the table with a fifth straight success.

Co-manager Lee Hooper said: “It was a good performance against strong opponents.

“We stuck to our game plan and came out with a deserved three points.

“We made a few changes to the team from our last game and the lads that came in did a good job.

“We started the game brightly and deservedly took an early lead through Matt following some neat build-up play.

“Unfortunately we conceded from a set-piece straight away but kept the pressure on for the remainder of the first half, however, we couldn’t break them down.

“We had to be wary of them on the counter-attack and when they did break through our back-line Charlie Weaver was on hand to thwart them.

“The majority of play was in Wellington’s half during the second half, we kept chipping away and finally got our breakthrough when Kyonn applied a cool finish to make it 2-1.

“We had further opportunities to increase our lead, which we failed to take, but we never looked in any real danger of losing our lead on this occasion.

“Not many teams will bring home points from there so we were delighted with the win. There were impressive performances all over the pitch and it keeps our good run going.”

Malvern went ahead in the fourth minute when Evans stole the ball off the defender, ran to the byline and crossed for Fusco to tap home.

Wellington equalised a minute later when the ball was played down the right and crossed into the box for Jack Lewis to net.

The hosts' George Hayes tried to flick the ball past advancing Town keeper Weaver but he saved and the same player fired just wide early in the second period.

In the 53rd minute Malvern's Ethan Moran weaved his way through and then shot just over.

But they regained the lead in the 62nd minute as a throw-in was headed on by James Febery for Evans to turn and fire home.

A Malvern corner then resulted in a goalmouth melee but the ball was cleared off the line.

Substitute Matt Turner shot across goal and Evans' effort rebounded off the post in the final minute into the arms of keeper Matt Apperley.