A MAN killed his great uncle with a steak knife then hid the murder weapon with the help of his uncle, a jury was told.

Adam Mason, 33, of Plough Lane, Tibberton, denies murdering Desmond Wooding at the 80-year-old's home in Vines Lane on June 23 last year.

Mark Mason, 55, of Plough Lane, Tibberton, is alleged to have driven Adam Mason, his nephew, away from the scene with the prosecution saying he intended to impede the apprehension or prosecution of Adam Mason, knowing or believing him to be guilty of the murder or another arrestable offence.

On the second day of the trial prosecutor Adrian Keeling told the jury an examination of the crime scene found five steak forks, but only four steak knives in the victim's kitchen - with the missing knife the suspected murder weapon.

Mr Keeling said CCTV evidence showed Adam Mason had been drinking all afternoon in the Gardeners Arms pub and was being "boisterous and violent".

"He left the pub," the prosecutor said.

"He walked along Vines Lane and then for some reason he stopped. The prosecution say there was a disagreement between Adam Mason and Mr Wooding.

"There is a 20 minute time period (when Adam Mason doesn't appear on any CCTV) and that must be when Mr Wooding was killed.

"He had no reason for anyone to pick him up, he could of walked home. But he called his uncle, he called family.

"He (Mark Mason) didn't take him home, but to an isolated area in north Droitwich - that was when they disposed of the murder weapon."

Mr Keeling alleged when Adam Mason went into Mr Wooding's home to kill him, he had his dog with him and explained it was later discovered there was a stain of blood on the dog's lead, which was analysed.

"The blood stain was found to be 43,000 times more likely to have come from Mr Wooding, than from anybody else," the prosecutor said.

Mr Keeling finished opening the prosecution's case by saying that the evidence would all add up to make a "compelling jigsaw" which meant the jury could be satisfied and conclude Adam Mason killed Mr Wooding and Mark Mason assisted him.

Mr Wooding's next door neighbour Keith Evans then gave evidence. He told the jury that between 7pm and 9pm on June 23 he saw for a brief second a man "in his 30s" come off the road, and up the path he shared with Mr Wooding. He said his dog was then disturbed, so he went to his door.

"I opened the door just eight inches, to stop my dog getting out, but enough to see who was out there," the neighbour said.

"I saw somebody standing outside Mr Wooding's home, with a dog on a lead."

Mr Evans said he thought it was odd the man had not turned round as his dog was "going ballistic".

The neighbour said after closing his door he heard "raised voices" with Mr Wooding speaking in a surprised voice, before it all went quiet.

Mr Evans said the following morning he could see Mr Wooding had not turned his lights off or drawn his curtains. After going to check on his neighbour, Mr Evans said he found Mr Wooding's door unlocked. He said he went inside and found the victim's body, calling 999.

The trial continues.