A LORRY driver managed to clamber out of his HGV unaided after it had crashed and overturned on the M5 near Droitwich, having suffered minor injuries. 

All four lanes of the carriageway between junctions 5 and 6 northbound were closed for nearly 12 hours from 7.10pm on Tuesday (January 2), with motorists being diverted onto the A4538 and A38.

Highways England released an image from a motorway camera showing the lorry sprawled across three of the four lanes, facing towards the barrier just off lane one.

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 4.55pm to the M5 between junction 6 to 5 northbound to reports of a lorry that had overturned. 

“One ambulance and a paramedic officer, as well as a land crew from the West Midlands Air Ambulance base, went to the scene. 

“A man in his 30s, the driver of the lorry, had managed to self-extricate himself from the vehicle before we arrived. 

“He suffered minor wounds to his face and arms. 

“His wounds were dressed at the scene before he was taken to Worcestershire Royal Hospital.”

The spokeswoman added that no-one else appeared to have been treated at the scene.

It is not believed that any other vehicles were involved.

Initially, just three of the four lanes were closed, with evening commuters being warned by Highways England to expect delays of up to 90 minutes, following the crash. 

However, the full carriageway was then closed a couple of hours later to assist in the recovery of the vehicle with a crane required to help right the lorry.

Despite the diversion being in place, motorists still experienced long delays in the approach to junction 6.

At around 6am on Wednesday (January 3), Highways England tweeted that the HGV had been "righted and removed" with debris still being cleared from the road.

And with repairs being made to the barriers, only one lane was re-opened on Wednesday in time for the early morning rush, and there were still tailbacks up to junction 7.

The road was fully re-opened at around 9am though traffic remained slow for some time.

It is unclear if Storm Eleanor, who arrived on Tuesday night, bringing with her winds of up to 50mph, had had a hand in causing the crash.