A SEX offender from Worcestershire jailed for indecently assaulting a girl has died in prison, prompting an investigation which found he had received a good level of care.

Albert Richardson of Strensham died of lung cancer in HMP Oakwood with the results of an investigation by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman published this week.

Richardson indecently assaulted a girl under the age of 13 between April 17, 1984 and April 16, 1986.

Richardson died on January 25, 2022 of lung cancer at HMP Oakwood at the age of 82.

Attempts were made to resuscitate him by a prison custody officer.

A recommendation was made by the clinical reviewer about the inappropriate use of CPR as Mr Richardson had a DNACPR order in place and there were signs that he had been dead for some time.

On November 27, 2020, Albert Richardson was sentenced to three years in prison for sexual offences and transferred to HMP Oakwood on December 21, 2020. 

Richardson had several pre-existing medical conditions, including anxiety and depression, angina and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

On November 18, Richardson was diagnosed with a rare form of lung cancer.

He was told a month later that he had less than three months to live. He signed a Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (DNACPR) Order on December 16.

RECOMMENDED READING: Ripon Road tree fall: Postman's lucky escape after collapse

RECOMMENDED READING: Tree falls down in Ronkswood blocking road - latest updates

The coroner gave Mr Richardson’s cause of death as malignant pleural mesothelioma after an inquest on August 1, 2022 which concluded he died from an industrial disease.

A spokesperson for the ombudsman said: "The clinical reviewer concluded that the care Mr Richardson received at HMP Oakwood was of a good standard and equivalent to that which he could have expected to receive in the community.

"The clinical reviewer was concerned that prison staff commenced CPR even though Mr Richardson had a Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation order in place and displayed signs of rigor mortis.

"I am concerned that the prison restrained Mr Richardson on his last visit to hospital on 20 January 2022, five days before he died. Given his age and ill health. I consider that this was unnecessary and inappropriate. The use of restraints should be based on the risk that a person presents at the time."