A DEADLY parasite which can kill dogs has confirmed cases across Malvern.

Lungworm can cause serious health problems and often be fatal to dogs and has spread across various areas of the country.

According to My Pet & I, Malvern currently has two cases of the parasite, with neighbouring city of Worcester with 10 confirmed cases.

Malvern Gazette: Picture Credit: My Pet & I.Picture Credit: My Pet & I.

The adult worms live in the heart and major vessels of infected dogs, and their larvae hatch in the lung tissue.

This results in breathing problems such as coughing, and other symptoms such as blood clotting issues and neurological problems.

Dogs are also known to experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy. 

Infected dogs will pass lungworm larvae out in their faeces, which in turn affects more slugs and snails which can then pass lungworm on to other dogs.

Foxes can also become infected with lungworms.

How do dogs become infected with lungworm?

Slugs and snails can carry the larvae and dogs become infected when they them.

They can be ingested accidentally when dogs eat grass, drink from puddles or outdoor water bowls.

READ MORE: Mappfest 2022 sees big turnout and military plane fly-over

Frogs can also carry the larvae, posing an additional risk to dogs.

Lungworm is avoidable with a regular monthly worming regime that is available from vets.

For more information, you can visit https://uk.mypetandi.com/.