A MAN who brandished a baseball bat and hit a youth sparking a street brawl has narrowly avoided going to jail.

Two men have also admitted assaulting police officers who were called to the incident in October 9, 2020.

Clive Morris went to youths in the street outside his property in Main Road, Kempsey, “baseball bat in hand”, swinging and at first missing.

Malvern Gazette: AVOIDS JAIL: Clive Morris walks free from Worcester Magistrates CourtAVOIDS JAIL: Clive Morris walks free from Worcester Magistrates Court

But on a second swing the bat connected with a youth hitting him around the head, Sumreen Asfar, prosecuting, told Worcester Magistrates Court.

It led to a fight between eight people to break out.

A victim statement said the youth had a scar from being hit and he still suffered headaches.

Steven Daly, defending, said the 68-year-old's actions had been the culmination of months of torment as youths had gathered outside his home, drinking, abusing him and throwing cans and bottles onto his garden.

Mr Daly said: “He was severely provoked.

“He admits swinging the bat, he had no intention of causing anyone any injuries.

“It was to teach these yobos a lesson.”

READ MORE: Amicii dog rescue team delivering supplies during rescue

READ MORE: Trial date set for Malvern man accused of making indecent images of children

Mr Daly said Morris had been severely injured in the brawl requiring hospital treatment.

Since retirement Morris had run Amicii Dog Rescue in Kempsey and also delivered aid to Ukraine.

Judith Hulland, chairman of the magistrates, said Morris’ actions had been the “catalyst” leading to the street fight, giving him a four months prison sentence, suspended for a year.

The chairman added he should pay compensation of £100 to the victim, a victim surcharge of £128, and costs of £185.

Herbie Taylor appeared at the court on Thursday, June 16, and admitted assaulting PC Village.

Malvern Gazette: COURT: Herbie Taylor leaving Worcester Magistrates CourtCOURT: Herbie Taylor leaving Worcester Magistrates Court

Miss Asfar explained the 18-year-old’s involvement had been to push an officer after police broke up the fight.

Mark Turbull said his client, of Chacewater Avenue, had pushed the officer after becoming animated seeing his friend being restrained, adding Taylor had no involvement in the brawl at all.

He added that he took exception to Mr Daly describing the youths as “yobos”.

“These boys are from good homes,” he said.

“It was group of young men waiting for a taxi. It was a period between lockdowns, it was an opportunity for them to get out.”

Magistrates fined Taylor £106, and ordered him to pay victim surcharge of £34, and costs of £135.

Malvern Gazette: COURT: Worcester Magistrates CourtCOURT: Worcester Magistrates Court

Mason Amphlett, of Canterbury Road, Worcester, also appeared at the court and admitted assaulting PC Rose.

But the 19-year-old denies affray.

Garry Harper, defending, said he had hoped that charge would have been dropped against his client as police had not yet been proved Amphlett had been involved in the fight.

Amphlett's case was adjourned for a trial to be held on July 22 at Worcester Magistrates Court.