Latest update: Police name man who died after being found in water at Worcester woods

A MAN who was found in a critical condition in water at Worcester Woods died in hospital.

Police and ambulance attended the scene at Worcester Woods following concerns of a man in the water earlier today (Wednesday, June 8).

The man was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead, despite paramedics battling to save his life.

Worcester Woods was cordoned off this morning as police investigated the death which they later said was not suspicious.

Access to the woods was reopened at around 1.30pm.

A spokesperson from West Mercia Police said: “We can confirm the death is not being treated as suspicious and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

"We were called to Worcester Woods Country Park at around 8am this morning (Wednesday 8 June) following concerns for the safety of a man in the water.

READ MORE: Live updates: Man dies following incident at Worcester Woods

"Officers attended the scene with colleagues from the ambulance service, and the man was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead."

A spokesperson from the West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called to reports of a patient in the water at Worcester Woods Country Park at 7.50am. 

"Two ambulances, two paramedic officers and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Strensham attended the scene.

"On arrival, we discovered one male patient who was in a critical condition.

"Ambulance staff immediately began administering advanced life support which continued en route to Worcester Royal Hospital.

READ MORE: Man dies following incident at Worcester Woods Country Park

"However, shortly after arrival at hospital it sadly became apparent nothing could be done to save the man and he was confirmed deceased."

Bethany Hart, who witnessed the air ambulance land this morning, said: "Me and my partner saw an air ambulance land at 8.30am so we walked to see what was going on.

"It landed on the field behind Carlisle Road Ronkswood then we saw police cordoned the woods we walked past be they said no one could walk through the woods due to an incident but no one knows what incident.

"We went onto the field to see if where the air ambulance had landed."

Worcester Woods and a part of the road surrounding it were closed to the public for a short period while the countryside centre remained open.