A MAN who resisted arrest while on his bike was told by a magistrate to “grow up”.

Declan Wharton was told by chair of the bench Richard Poppleton “some growing up is in order” after he pleaded guilty to resisting arrest in Malvern.

Wharton, of Sherrards Green Road, Malvern, had been drinking in the Bakery Inn in the town just after 8pm on December 6 when officers were called to the pub following reports of a man slamming and banging doors.

When officers arrived at the pub, they identified Wharton, of Sherrards Green Road, from his high-vis clothing.

The court heard how Wharton had gone to the pub after work for a couple of drinks which turned into seven.

27 year-old Wharton told the court his phone had been stolen while at the bar and had been shouting for help with people ignoring him.

At this point, he was ejected from the pub for causing a disturbance - this is when the police were called.

Prosecutor Cagin Husnu said: “When officers arrived, they saw him walking away pushing his bike.

READ MORE: Malvern man charged with eight drug and firearm offences

“As they approached him, a female nearby told them he was the one causing trouble.

“When speaking to him, the officers noticed he was unsteady and had blood on his fingers consistent with the doors at the pub.

“The defendant tried to walk away, still pushing his bike.

“One officer grabbed his arm but he pedalled away before another officer managed to grab him.”

Wharton continued to struggle and pushed backwards, causing one of the officers, PC Waldron, to fall backwards.

He was arrested and taken to the police station where he was charged with resisting arrest.

Mr Husnu added: “With regards his previous convictions, the list is quite lengthy but there is nothing relevant to this charge.”

Representing himself, Wharton addressed the court, apologising for his actions.

He said: “I had finished work that day and I normally go straight to the pub and have a couple.

READ MORE: Malvern history group given chance to photograph former QinetiQ site before demolition

“I was waiting for friends to turn up and it became seven or eight.

“While I was waiting there my phone got stolen from the bar but no one would help me.

“I asked but no one would help and I was more angry at the fact no one would help than the fact my phone had been stolen.

“I said to the police they could go and search my house for the phone if they didn’t believe me and when they did, there was no phone.”

The court heard how, even though Wharton was subject to a community order imposed in January last year, this offence did not put him in breach of it.

In a report from probation, it was revealed Wharton has outstanding fines still to be paid of £3,542 from previous offences.

Addressing Wharton, Mr Poppleton said: “Hearing your story it is self inflicted - go to work, go and have a couple of pints, then it is more.

“You have very limited income but doing these things - there is growing up to take place.”

In response, Wharton said: “To be fair those things happened back when I was 16”

Mr Poppleton replied: “You are not 16 anymore.”

Wharton was ordered to pay a fine of £80, a victim surcharge of £32 and prosecution costs of £135 when he appeared in court on January 9.