A DAD kicked a woman in the head before his ex-partner punched the helpless mother in the face, leaving her sobbing, battered and bloody.

Lee Haile and Celia O’Shea admitted assault causing actual bodily harm against Deborah Evans in Marlborough Gardens, Malvern.

The victim, who struck the first blow, was afterwards seen on police body worn camera footage sobbing with one eye swollen shut and blood pouring from her face. Two videos, one showing the attack itself and the other the aftermath, were played to the court.

Haile, aged 39, of Victoria Road, Malvern and O’Shea, aged 42, of Marlborough Gardens, Malvern both received suspended prison sentences at Worcester Crown Court on Monday following the incident on July 7 last year.

A video of the attack in the case came from O’Shea’s own daughter, provided as evidence that her mother had acted in self-defence.

On the video a child witness can be heard screaming as the two women begin fighting in the street.

Miss Evans can be seen connecting with a kick to O’Shea’s chest before the women scuffle and go to the ground.

Haile then intervenes, aiming a kick at Miss Evans (who is on top) which misses before aiming a second which connects with her head.

Miss Evans can be seen lying on her back in the road, unresponsive and no longer able to defend herself. She is then punched three times by O’Shea.

Haile initially denied the assault to police even though there was video footage of him kicking the victim and her blood was found on his shoe.

Both defendants pleaded guilty on March 7 this year.

O’Shea’s basis of plea, accepted by the Crown, was that she acted in self-defence but used excessive force, punching the victim three times as she lay on the ground.

Amiee Parkes, prosecuting, said Miss Evans had called the police earlier that day saying that Haile had threatened to ‘petrol bomb’ her home, which Haile denied.

Miss Parkes described a fight in which both women were on the floor scratching each other before Haile intervened.

She also read out a victim personal statement in which Miss Evans said: “Since this crime I’m now scared to leave my home on my own. I’m scared to go out. If they’ve done it once to me they can do it again.”

Miss Evans also described how she was not sleeping, saying: “It started with Lee saying he was going to petrol bomb my house. I’m still really worried this is something he will do.”

She had to attend A&E at Worcestershire Royal Hospital, described how she was ‘dizzy and could hardly stand up’, suffered a swollen face including her jaw and eye, a cut lip, a concussion and could not eat for four days afterwards.

She said even two weeks after the attack she still felt dizzy. Miss Evans also said as a result of what happened ‘she doesn’t want to be in Malvern anymore’ and was planning to move out of the town soon.

Haile denied the assault in interview, saying ‘witnesses are making it up’ and also claiming he was not the person in the video.

“As to the blood found on his shoe, he couldn’t give an answer as to why it was there” said Miss Parkes.

O’Shea denied the offence, saying she had been attacked, telling officers ‘she started it’ and ‘I smashed her but it was in self-defence’.

Miss Parkes argued it was a category one offence for Haile with higher culpability because it involved the use of a weapon (a shod foot).

O’Shea has eight convictions for 26 offences but nothing on her record for violence. Haile has 23 convictions for 63 offences including battery and affray.

Paul Stanley, for O’Shea, said the fight was instigated by the injured party and said Miss Evans could be heard saying ‘come on!’ in the video.

He said the assault was not joint enterprise and his client had not realised Miss Evans was unconscious.

Mr Stanley argued there was no pre-meditation, she played a subordinate role in the attack and had been out of trouble for 11 years.

He added: “She isn’t a violent woman in terms of her antecedent history.”

Judith Kenney, for Haile, conceded it was a category one offence and that he took no responsibility for his actions in three interviews with police on July 8, August 1 and October 20 last year.

Miss Kenney said her client had reacted to the situation in a ‘wholly inappropriate fashion’ and added: “If he could put the clock back he would.”

She said he had ‘a good heart’, citing work he had done in the community, but said he ‘lacked judgement’.

Recorder Edward Coke sentenced O’Shea to 26 weeks in prison suspended for 18 months, ordered her to complete 30 rehabilitation activity days and pay £250 compensation to the victim.

He said of Haile that he had ‘sauntered off casually as if it was a normal thing to do’ after delivering the kick.

The judge sentenced him to 12 months in prison suspended for 18 months, ordered him to complete 30 rehabilitation activity days and 80 says unpaid work. Haile must also pay £500 compensation to the victim, taking the total awarded to £750.

“It’s a small amount but she’s entitled to something after your disgraceful behaviour,” said Recorder Coke.