A 21-year-old man and an 18-year-old woman have died in a house fire.

The pair were found inside a house on the A44 between Cotheridge and Broadwas, near Worcester, but nothing could be done to save them despite 30 firefighters and officers being sent to fight the fire.

Paramedics from a passing ambulance initially spotted the fire and stopped to help while firefighters and police officers rushed to the house fire at around 8pm on Sunday evening.

West Mercia Police said: "Officers attended to assist with closing the road to enable firefighters to deal with the incident.

"Sadly, a 21-year old male and an 18-year old female have been found inside deceased.

"Next of kin have been informed, formal identification has not yet taken place."

The fire service was called out at 7.49pm and sent seven fire engines and around 30 firefighters and officers to the home, which is not visible from the main road, but is opposite Hilltop Farm, Cotheridge.

A statement from West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "West Midlands Ambulance Service was called shortly after 8pm last night (Sunday). "One ambulance, two paramedic officers and the trust’s Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) paramedics attended the scene alongside the fire service and police.

"A passing ambulance, which came across the fire, was the first vehicle on scene and stopped to render aid until other resources arrived.

"Ambulance crews provided support to the fire service whilst they worked to put out the fire.

"Once inside the property, fire colleagues discovered two people inside.

"Sadly, nothing could be done to save the two occupants and they were confirmed dead on scene.”

Crews from Worcester, Bromyard, Malvern, Droitwich, Ledbury and Leominster were involved in the operation.

Chief Superintendent Kevin Purcell said: "We were called to assist the fire service, last night at around 8pm; sadly two young people have been confirmed as deceased - a 21-year-old man and an 18-year-old woman."

"Fire investigation officers worked with crews and scenes of crime officers from West Mercia Police throughout Sunday night to make the property safe and establish the cause."

Yesterday, two fire engines remained at the scene damping down the next day along with police forensic investigators and engineers from Western Power Distribution.