FIREFIGHTERS have finally put out the last few flames from a wildfire on the Malvern Hills.

Crews have been battling the blaze since Monday afternoon, although they finally left the scene at 5.38am yesterday morning.

Hereford and Worcester Fire station commander Thom Morgan said the blaze, near West of England Quarry, in Malvern, was caused by a disposable barbecue.

Malvern Hills Trust, which looks after the area, prohibits the use of barbecues on the hills and has now issued an appeal to walkers.

Beck Baker, community and conservation officer for the trust, added: “We’re asking people to take a few precautions to reduce the chance of wildfires, for example, extinguishing cigarettes properly and never throwing cigarette ends on the ground or out of the car.

“Wildfires often don’t start by themselves and the majority of wildfires are started by people either accidentally or deliberately.

“We’re asking people to remain vigilant and act responsibly in the warm, dry weather.”

The trust added that disposable barbecues are particularly dangerous because they can be blown over by the wind.

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service Group Commander George Sherry said: “Since 3.22pm on Monday, more than 100 firefighters and 13 vehicles from seven stations throughout Hereford and Worcester were deployed.

“Crews made fire breaks to reduce the spread of the fire in turbulent conditions and used 10 backpacks, 10 beaters, six hose reel jets, and two air blowers.

"A police drone was deployed, compressed air foam system jets were in use and the water carrier was also used to shuttle water up the hill.

"The fire was dampened down using backpacks and beaters. No injuries to the firefighters or the public were sustained.

“We continue to issue warnings about wildfires, asking people to be extra vigilant and take steps to reduce the risk of wildfires and also to remind the public that BBQs are not permitted on the Malvern Hills at any time as they are a threat to the grasslands, wildlife, and the general public during dry weather.”

Fire crews monitored the blaze overnight on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The inferno has destroyed five acres of grass and shrubbery.