A motorcyclist in his 40s has died in a crash on a Malvern road.

A 38-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of death by dangerous driving after the crash outside the Green Dragon pub on Guarlford Road, Malvern, at around 8.34pm last night.

The arrested man has been released under investigation, following the crash between the motorbike and the Land Rover.

Residents said that the road, which is commonly known as the 'Guarlford straight', is notoriously dangerous. 

Paul Sparrey, aged 46, of Guarlford Road, said: “At about 8.30pm I heard a massive roar of a motorbike.

“Then it went quiet and there was a bit of a knock. It went quiet too soon, you normally hear it going away from you – the noise of the bike.

“I went outside out of curiosity. The bike and the rider were on the grass and the Land Rover was pulled over.

“Members of the public were performing CPR before the emergency services got here. You could see there were one of two people leaning over and making motions that looked like CPR. There was no visible damage to the Land Rover from where I was.”

Mr Sparrey said police officers were first on the scene, followed by a land ambulance and an air ambulance, which landed behind the Green Dragon pub.

The father-of-three added: “Paramedics had a green tent up and were working on him for 45 minutes or an hour. It was pretty clear to me that it was a fatality.”

Mr Sparrey said that before police arrived locals were standing in the street trying to stop traffic from reaching the scene.

The resident, who works as a financial controller, said the road is notoriously dangerous and commonly known as the ‘Guarlford straight’.

He added: “My wife was hit three years ago down here, she was with the dog on the pavement at 6.30am.

“A vehicle had mounted the kerb and his wing mirror hit my wife’s head. She was knocked out.

“Two years ago there was a major bike accident. The ‘Guarlford straight’ is notorious, anyone wanting to try out their bikes and cars says let’s go do it down the ‘Guarlford straight’.

“There needs to be some speed calming measure.”

David Kershaw, aged 75, who has lived in Guarlford Road for 40 years, has also called for action to prevent another crash.

He said: "This road is so fast, it needs someone to slow the traffic down. 

"We have had neighbours move because the traffic is so fast. We are frightened.

"Something needs to be done. I think they should extend the 40 miles per hour limit half-way up the road and then monitor it."

Mr Kershaw added that an 11-year-old boy was killed by a motorbike on the road just after he moved into his home in the 1970s.

Police closed the road while the emergency services were in attendance.

Paramedics and fire crews from Malvern and Upton also responded to the incident.

The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene and his next of kin has been informed.

West Mercia Police wants witnesses to call 101, quoting incident number 701s of June 9.