Bridstow, The Old Vicarage, South Herefordshire HR9

£2,600,000

Guide price

  • Bedrooms: 6
An exquisitely refurbished georgian country house occupying A dominant location in the centre of its approx. Seven acres and commanding A glorious outlook to three aspects. Magnificent mature deciduous trees. Part walled garden. Coach house, stables. An absolute gem.

LocationThe Old Vicarage lies on the outskirts of the village of Bridstow, just over a mile west of the market and tourist town of Ross-on-Wye in southeast Herefordshire. For those concerned with strategic location and accessibility, the M50 motorway/A40 dual carriageway network may be accessed within literally minutes, and this in turn enables first class communication to most parts of the country. Monmouth, Hereford and Ledbury are all within approx. 20 minutes drive, the first of these two towns have noted Public Schools. The area is well known for its sporting opportunities, and there are several excellent Golf Courses with 30 minutes drive and salmon fishing is available on the River Wye. Airports within an hour’s drive include Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Staverton and Shobdon, the latter in particular being noted for its social and friendly atmosphere.

Listing And HistoryThe property is Listed Grade II, the greater part of the current structure believed to have been built between 1746 and 1754 by James Price, Vicar of Bridstow. The house was later extended, probably by the Reverend Thomas Lewis, and further alterations were made in 1855 and 1910 (the Gloucester, Ross, Hereford Railway opened in 1855). Reverend Thomas Lewis is also credited with being one of the founder members of the widely respected Woolhope Naturalist Field Club in 1851. That club is still thriving today! The house passed from the Diocese of Hereford into private ownership in 1958. Since acquiring the property in 2008, the current owners have not only carried out major works including re-roofing, but have also made other substantial changes, including the addition of the spectacular 28’ Orangery.

DescriptionThe Old Vicarage represents an increasingly rare opportunity to acquire an exceptionally fine Georgian House which has been upgraded and improved in a truly beautiful manner. Many former Vicarages and Rectories have been sold off within the last 50 years, with many subsequently spoilt by development taking place within their former grounds. Here, one has the exquisite Period Residence set centrally within its seven acres with no new development nearby to spoil the ambience. The painstaking refurbishment undertaken by the current owners has been sympathetic, understated and elegant, and many of the works undertaken have been major e.g. Re-roofing and re-rendering. Beneath the render, the house is of sandstone and brick construction, and the accommodation is notable for its numerous fine sash windows which enable an exquisite outlook to the northeast, southeast and southwest.

Accommodation in the main house extends to approx. 8380 sq.ft. Whilst the Coach House, Workshop and Garage extend to approx. 1982 sq.ft. There is also an excellent cellar below a portion of the ground floor c. 662 sq.ft.

FeaturesAs one would expect in a property of this nature, there are a host of period features which any thorough inspection of the property will reveal. There is a fine entrance portico in Bath stone and the outstanding principal reception hall is 32’ in length. This has a beautiful, easy rising stairway with a vast amount of natural light being admitted by the 12’ high Venetian window and cupola above. Fine panelled doors lead off to the main reception rooms, all of which have beautiful fireplaces and cornice work or coving to ceilings. Almost all rooms also have elegant, shuttered sash windows, the outstanding bow window to the southeast elevation having curved sashes which is both unusual and appealing. The 35’ kitchen/breakfast/family room is exceptionally light and lavishly appointed, with bi-fold doors opening directly through to the magnificent 28’ Orangery. The kitchen boasts a four oven, off peak electric Aga, together with an extensive range of high spec appliances. The presence of a secondary staircase also facilitates a very versatile use of the accommodation. The three

main reception rooms have superb light oak flooring, whilst the ground and first floors boast underfloor heating.

Lying to the north of the accommodation, and accessible internally as well as externally is the 26’ double garage with further internal doors leading directly into the fantastic 20’ Workshop/Hobbies Room.

Flanking the latter, the original stone built Coach House, Stables and Grooms Accommodation is constructed on two levels, and planning consent has previously been granted thereon for conversion to residential, linked with the use of the main house.

The layout of the house, room sizes and orientation are to be found on the detailed floor plans overleaf.

OutbuildingsPositioned to the north of the main house are the aforementioned Former Stables and Coach House. The building has two storeys and permission was granted in 2005 for “Conversion of redundant Coach House to living accommodation ancillary to the main dwelling”. Application Code dcse 2005/0485/F. Listed Building Consent was also granted at the same time. This permission has expired but is likely to be re-granted if required. The Coach House is of substantial stone construction under a double pitched, slated roof, overall external dimensions of same being approx. 35’ x 21’.

Positioned towards the southwestern corner of the grounds, just to the south of the approach drive is a pair of Substantial Wooden Stables of overall external dimensions approx. 24’ x 12’.

Garden And GroundsAlmost the whole of the approx. Seven acres comprise beautifully maintained lawned gardens which surround the whole of the property, and over which there are some delightful vistas. On driving into the grounds, viewers will be struck by the impressive nature of the mature Oak, Beech and Scots Pine to the left of the drive, whilst to one’s right, facing the southeast elevation of the house is a magnificent and majestic mature Aspen tree. To the south of same are a series of recently planted young deciduous trees, whilst to the north western corner of the grounds is an elegant line of trees including Silver Birch and Lime, with a further young Oak nearby.

Adjacent to a superb sandstone wall to the north eastern corner of the grounds is the Part Walled Garden variously planted with fruit trees (some espalier), shrubs, herbaceous plants and climbers. Nearby is a further mature Lime tree.

Although the current owners do not have horses, various sections of the ground could easily be delineated into a series of Paddocks for those whose interests are Equestrian.

CellarsAs mentioned earlier, there are two large cellar rooms which are approachable from within the house. These cellars show evidence of a considerable capacity for some of the finer wines that may have been consumed at the property over the years!

ServicesMains electricity, water and drainage are connected. Oil fired underfloor central heating.

Local Authority And OutgoingsHereford Council, Plough Lane, Hereford, HR4 0LE. Tel: The property is Band H Council Tax.

DirectionsFrom the Wilton roundabout (bp Service Station) on the western outskirts of Ross, take the A49 towards Hereford. Within a few hundred yards, carefully take the 1st right turning towards Foy. The driveway to The Old Vicarage will be seen within 100 yards on your right hand side. Assuming your arrival has been announced the gates will be open. Drive in and you will see the southwestern façade of the property and main entrance door after the first curve of the driveway. If perchance the gates are closed, use the intercom facility on the stone wall to your right.

To ViewStrictly and only please by prior telephone appointment through Morris Bricknell Chartered Surveyors, Stroud House, 30 Gloucester Road, Ross-on-Wye, HR9 5LE. Tel: The person dealing with this sale is Norman Bricknell, email: , website: , who may be contacted out of hours on .

Money Laundering RegulationsTo comply with money laundering regulations prospective purchasers will be asked to produce identification documentation after making an offer. We ask for your co-operation in order that there is no delay in agreeing the sale.

Arrange viewing 01989 218003

Morris Bricknell

Gloucester Road, Ross On Wye, Herefordshire

See all properties from this agent

Send me homes like this by email

Malvern Gazette