Lethal Lye are just too strong for brave Malvern

Malvern Gazette: Lethal Lye are just too strong for brave Malvern Lethal Lye are just too strong for brave Malvern

MALVERN Town suffered a 5-0 West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division hammering at Lye Town.

A poor, yet goalless, firsthalf in chilly sunshine acted only to lull spectators into not expecting the one-sided affair they witnessed after the interval.

Ricky Anslow struck early in the second-half, but the visitors then wasted their only real opportunity of the period, which allowed Lye to stretch away and win comfortably.

Simon Williams pushed a pass inside from the left for Andy Mitchell, but Malvern ‘keeper Ian Hill advanced quickly to smother.

Lye were dominating, but Malvern’s defence was resolute and Hill raced from goal again before Anslow could capitalise.

Although defending well, Malvern were forced to rely on breaks and a neat Harry Wickett pass released Dave Reynolds, only for the striker to roll a 16 yard shot wide of the far upright.

Anslow opened the scoring within moments of the second period starting and Lye then dominated and buried any Malvern resistance.

Whitcombe played a neat one-two with Johnson, but replacement Malvern keeper Charles Weaver dived to catch the defender’s low cross and it was plain that Lye were now in total charge of the game.

The hosts won a right-wing corner, Johnson took the flag-kick, Jevons nudged the ball on at the near post and Wilkins was on hand to rifle home from 16 yards to make it 2-0.

Weaver, doing well under severe pressure, beat Anslow to a bouncing through-pass, then Jevons was fouled by Fletcher, who was cautioned, and, from the resulting freekick, Whitcombe netted the third goal.

Within moments, Lye had scored again. Williams picked up a pass from the right, moved inside and unleashed a superb curling left-footer, which arced over the hapless Weaver into the top corner from 25 yards.

To complete the rout, Anslow broke onto James’ long ball past a weak Thomas challenge, worked the ball towards the left byeline and slipped a pass across to the unmarked Nickle, who side-footed home from seven yards.

Matt Cole was replaced by Matt Turner for Malvern and as the game neared its end, a five-man passing move by Lye ended with Nickle slipping a fine low pass towards the right side of the six yard box, but Anslow didn’t appear to read the trajectory, hesitated and the chance went begging.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree