MEMBERS of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) are due to take part in strike action on two separate occasions this month, with the first set to begin tomorrow.
Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the first part of industrial action was to take place between 9am tomorrow and 9am Friday.
The second part of the strike will take place between 10am and 5pm on Saturday, June 21.
A dispute relating to proposed changed to firefighters' pensions between the FBU and central government has led to the action.
Area Commander Keith Chance, head of operations support for the service, said: “While the industrial action is ongoing we will still be responding to 999 calls but we will be asking members of the public to take extra steps to reduce the risk of a fire breaking out in their home.
“This is the first 24-hour strike being taken by the FBU during this dispute and we appreciate that members of the public may be concerned by this. However, I would like to reassure them that we will have plans in place to cover this strike period.”
A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “This is obviously a serious situation, both for the service and for all individuals concerned, and the service hopes that there will be continued dialogue between the union and government over the coming days to prevent strike action taking place.
“If strike action takes place on these dates it will result in a significant reduction of the service’s available resources.
“This reduced fire cover is likely to provide a basic service and will aim to prioritise the most urgent calls ahead of other responses.
“This plan was invoked during periods of industrial action last year and earlier this year.”