TRAGEDY has hit a primary school after a schoolgirl collapsed in class with what is thought to have been a catastrophic brain haemorrhage.

Yesterday she was on a life support machine at hospital, but sadly is not expected to recover.

The year 6 pupil at Cherry Orchard Primary School in Timberdine Close, Worcester, was first taken to Worcestershire Royal Hospital at about 2pm on Wednesday before being transferred to Birmingham Children's Hospital.

It is thought the girl is 11 years old and is a twin.

Last night, the school's official statement described her as seriously ill.

Headteacher Jeremy Harwood said: "I can confirm that sadly one of our pupils was taken ill at school on Wednesday, May 21 with emergency services being contacted immediately due to the apparent seriousness of the condition.

"My thoughts at this difficult time are with the pupil and their family.

"As this all happened so suddenly I am currently working with the County Council to arrange appropriate support for pupils and staff as we move forward over the next couple of days."

Pupils were told in assembly yesterday morning that the school had sad news to share and were given opportunities to talk to school staff about their feelings.

Some children cried and hugged each other as they left school at the end of the day.

A letter sent to parents said there had been enquiries about whether flowers and tributes could be laid at the school as an expression of sympathy for her family.

The letter read: "It's a kind thought and we will open up the forest school area until 5.30pm on Thursday and between 9am and 3pm on Friday should you wish to visit and find a suitable spot to put them."

Parents were also encouraged to answer their children's questions.

When the incident happened children were asked to stay inside the school while an air ambulance landed in the playing fields. Eventually she was taken to the Royal by land ambulance after being given emergency treatment by paramedics.

A spokesman from West Midlands Ambulance Service said it sent two ambulances, a rapid response vehicle, a paramedic officer and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Strensham at 1.55pm.

He added: “The girl received emergency treatment at the scene by medics and was transferred by land ambulance to Worcestershire Royal Hospital for further emergency treatment.

“The girl was later transferred to Birmingham Children’s Hospital.”