Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MG NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Residents angered as Poolbrook housing plan is approved
Updated 10:19am Wednesday 2nd April 2014 in News
RESIDENTS of Poolbrook say they have been "let down" by Malvern Hills councillors over controversial plans for new housing near their homes.
Developer W J Bullock and Partners was last week given planning permission to build up to 63 houses on land between the existing Brook Farm Estate and the sewage works off Mill Lane
Residents say the access, via Charlock Road, would mean too much traffic on residential roads, and also said the site flooded in wet weather.
And after Thursday evening's meeting Richard Spencer of the Poolbrook Residents Action Group said: "Yet another local community has been let down by our council's inability to resolve its planning issues.
"In this case our councillors were given a clear choice by a developer but, with a few honourable exceptions, chose to abdicate their responsibility to local residents, and took the line of least resistance."
W J Bullock and Partners had earlier been given permission for a similar plan, but with access directly off Mill Lane. Mr Chapman said that, given the choice, residents would have preferred the earlier plan.
"We had hoped that councillor would approve one and refuse the other, but they did not do so," he said.
At the meeting local member Cllr Rebecca Massey said: "This development is not part of the SWDP, and there should be two reasons for refusal, the access and the flood risk."
But planning officers recommended approval, and members voted 7-2 with one abstention to approve.
This week, a spokesman for the applicant said they are currently considering all options.
Comments are closed on this article.