Calls for fresh investigation into care home death

Malvern Gazette: County Hall: calls from Labour for a fresh investigation County Hall: calls from Labour for a fresh investigation

CALLS are being made for a fresh investigation into the death of a vulnerable man in a private Worcestershire care home.

The county council's Labour group is demanding an urgent probe after a damaging independent report into the failures surrounding the death of a frail 70-year-old.

As your Worcester News revealed last Tuesday, the pensioner died after moving to a cheaper, less suitable care home despite an advance assessment warning it would be "detrimental" to his health.

The Local Government Ombudsman has since accused the council of trying to "contract out the responsibility" for his death.

Councillor Peter McDonald, Labour group leader, said: "If an investigation is not carried out immediately, I fear we will see further casualties of the major cutbacks which I feel are directly linked to the causes of this frail pensioner not receiving the care he should have.

"We have been warning for some time the consequences of this continued obsession with contracting out services would lead to casualties.

"Once a service is contracted out it becomes financially driven and care can become secondary - that goes for services across the board.

"The council’s first priority should be to look after those it is responsible for not to try and get care on the cheap."

The man, who cannot be named, had a history of dementia, heart problems, diabetes, strokes and epilepsy and died in January 2012.

Just two months earlier he was moved to a cheaper care home after an emergency NHS funding package stopped, and the county council took over responsibility for him.

After his death it emerged that a safeguarding investigation was never completed despite complaints from the family.

Before his move social workers assessed him and warned the move would be "detrimental" to his health.

The council has since paid the family £1,500 and says it working on an agreed plan to ensure there is not a repeat.

The request has been rejected by the Conservative leadership, which says it has already accepted an action plan for changes.

Councillor Sheila Blagg, cabinet member for adult social care, said: "We are confident the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) has already closely investigated this case and we accept their findings.

"We are working on an agreed action plan to remedy the issues raised by the complaint and have apologised to the family, as well as offered them the payment recommended by the LGO.

"Procedures at the county council are currently being reviewed and will be constantly assessed to ensure similar occurrences do not happen again."

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:20am Mon 3 Feb 14

jb says...

"Procedures at the county council are currently being reviewed and will be constantly assessed to ensure similar occurrences do not happen again."

A well documented sentence used at the conclusion of many reports on serious incidents concerning social care failures. What is apparent is that the county council are now focusing on putting this incident behind them and refusing to scrutinise the actions of individuals who caused the failing which led to this gentlemans death. It doesn't matter how many safeguards they put in place or what new procedures they decide upon it all boils down to the acts of individual county council officers who rubber stamp the decisions and making them accountable for their actions.
All decisions made now on social care are finance led, they assess people's needs and then try and find the cheapest way of delivering this. No one wants to waste money, far from it but where someone's life is concerned they need to sit back on refocus or this could happen time and time again.
"Procedures at the county council are currently being reviewed and will be constantly assessed to ensure similar occurrences do not happen again." A well documented sentence used at the conclusion of many reports on serious incidents concerning social care failures. What is apparent is that the county council are now focusing on putting this incident behind them and refusing to scrutinise the actions of individuals who caused the failing which led to this gentlemans death. It doesn't matter how many safeguards they put in place or what new procedures they decide upon it all boils down to the acts of individual county council officers who rubber stamp the decisions and making them accountable for their actions. All decisions made now on social care are finance led, they assess people's needs and then try and find the cheapest way of delivering this. No one wants to waste money, far from it but where someone's life is concerned they need to sit back on refocus or this could happen time and time again. jb
  • Score: 8

2:48pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Denver's Son says...

Well it seems my comments have been censored by the Worcester News
Well it seems my comments have been censored by the Worcester News Denver's Son
  • Score: 4

3:05pm Mon 3 Feb 14

CJH says...

Denver's Son wrote:
Well it seems my comments have been censored by the Worcester News
It says the man cannot be named, but if you're his son (as your deleted comment earlier, which also named the care home) why can't you? Who is stopping you from putting this into the public domain? The council, the care home or the Worcester News? It's an awful thing to happen, and someone needs to put the 'care' back into care homes. It should never, ever be about the cost.
[quote][p][bold]Denver's Son[/bold] wrote: Well it seems my comments have been censored by the Worcester News[/p][/quote]It says the man cannot be named, but if you're his son (as your deleted comment earlier, which also named the care home) why can't you? Who is stopping you from putting this into the public domain? The council, the care home or the Worcester News? It's an awful thing to happen, and someone needs to put the 'care' back into care homes. It should never, ever be about the cost. CJH
  • Score: 5

3:14pm Mon 3 Feb 14

shot123 says...

Was his name Denver by any chance.
Was his name Denver by any chance. shot123
  • Score: 5

6:44pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Denver's Son says...

Yes shot123 Denver Kendrick of Nixon Court Callow End.
Yes shot123 Denver Kendrick of Nixon Court Callow End. Denver's Son
  • Score: 5

7:30pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Denver's Son says...

Well I will stand outside the care home with a large sign if I have to. I am not going to let this care home go unmentioned for too long.
Well I will stand outside the care home with a large sign if I have to. I am not going to let this care home go unmentioned for too long. Denver's Son
  • Score: 5

7:49pm Mon 3 Feb 14

scotrae says...

Denver's Son wrote:
Well it seems my comments have been censored by the Worcester News
That might be because I reported the post, on the basis that the organisation that you named and blamed twice in your original post is a charity - similar name but connected in no other way. I am sure this was an innocent (easy to make) mistake but it might have damaged that charity's reputation at best or left you / Worcester News open to litigation at worst.

I would have hoped that Worcester News could have explained this. I hope you and other readers can see that I reported this error with the best of intentions. You have my sympathies - what happened sounds unimaginably awful.
[quote][p][bold]Denver's Son[/bold] wrote: Well it seems my comments have been censored by the Worcester News[/p][/quote]That might be because I reported the post, on the basis that the organisation that you named and blamed twice in your original post is a charity - similar name but connected in no other way. I am sure this was an innocent (easy to make) mistake but it might have damaged that charity's reputation at best or left you / Worcester News open to litigation at worst. I would have hoped that Worcester News could have explained this. I hope you and other readers can see that I reported this error with the best of intentions. You have my sympathies - what happened sounds unimaginably awful. scotrae
  • Score: 3

8:09pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Denver's Son says...

Scotrae my sincere apologies I should have said Shaw Care Homes which as you say has absolutely no connection with your charity.

Thank you very much for pointing this out a pity the Worc News couldn't have let me know.
Scotrae my sincere apologies I should have said Shaw Care Homes which as you say has absolutely no connection with your charity. Thank you very much for pointing this out a pity the Worc News couldn't have let me know. Denver's Son
  • Score: 4

8:12pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Denver's Son says...

Which is Shaw Healthcare.
Which is Shaw Healthcare. Denver's Son
  • Score: 4

8:15pm Mon 3 Feb 14

shot123 says...

Denver's Son wrote:
Well I will stand outside the care home with a large sign if I have to. I am not going to let this care home go unmentioned for too long.
Ill be rhere with yoiu bruv.
[quote][p][bold]Denver's Son[/bold] wrote: Well I will stand outside the care home with a large sign if I have to. I am not going to let this care home go unmentioned for too long.[/p][/quote]Ill be rhere with yoiu bruv. shot123
  • Score: 4

8:23pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Denver's Son says...

Well won't be long.
Well won't be long. Denver's Son
  • Score: 5

11:23pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Bob yawn says...

I am absolutely disgusted with what has gone on at this care home. Why are they not being named? I understand the council provided the care and are responsible, but surely the home he was in has to take responsibility also!!
I am absolutely disgusted with what has gone on at this care home. Why are they not being named? I understand the council provided the care and are responsible, but surely the home he was in has to take responsibility also!! Bob yawn
  • Score: 1

11:33pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Denver's Son says...

Fingers crossed we can name them soon.
Fingers crossed we can name them soon. Denver's Son
  • Score: 2

5:46pm Tue 4 Feb 14

VantagePoint says...

We were told our relative didn't qualify for continuing care funding despite having a catastrophic stroke, heart problems and needing care for everything and then found out - by asking for documents - that Worcestershire social services files had recorded she had dementia. But the family had not been told of this diagnosis. We were horrified and very shocked. Worcestershire are the most disgusting local government people I have ever dealt with. The only reason for not telling the family about this diagnosis was to try to prevent them from accessing continuing care funding. What other reason could there possibly be?
We were told our relative didn't qualify for continuing care funding despite having a catastrophic stroke, heart problems and needing care for everything and then found out - by asking for documents - that Worcestershire social services files had recorded she had dementia. But the family had not been told of this diagnosis. We were horrified and very shocked. Worcestershire are the most disgusting local government people I have ever dealt with. The only reason for not telling the family about this diagnosis was to try to prevent them from accessing continuing care funding. What other reason could there possibly be? VantagePoint
  • Score: 2

7:41pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Denver's Son says...

Hi Vantage although having dementia doesn't automatically qualify you for CHC it is worth reporting this to the Local Government Ombudsman.
Hi Vantage although having dementia doesn't automatically qualify you for CHC it is worth reporting this to the Local Government Ombudsman. Denver's Son
  • Score: 1

7:43pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Denver's Son says...

The more people that come forward and report these things the better.
The more people that come forward and report these things the better. Denver's Son
  • Score: 1

1:42pm Thu 6 Feb 14

17rachel says...

Denver's Son wrote:
Well I will stand outside the care home with a large sign if I have to. I am not going to let this care home go unmentioned for too long.
No one ever listens to you what ever you do there all on each others sides, social workers, county council and the staff in the care homes they all work as a team. My mother in law is having problems with the Bupa care home in Malvern all her mothers clothes have been going missing which they shouldn't be because her daughter does her laundry, when you complain to them they seem to just be brushing it all under the carpet, my mother in laws mum has had bed sores, and within two weeks of her going into the home she was made incontinent because the staff can't be bothered to take her to the toilet, and because she's registered blind and needs help taking to the toilet. I witnessed 1 patient getting the door slammed in there face as they where shouting out for help. Its all wrong how vulnerable patients are treated, something needs to be done but no one seems to bother helping my mother in law. Its all wrong. If it was there mother or father they would be doing something about it but because its other peoples mothers and fathers they don't care. My mother in law just doesn't know where to turn to help.
[quote][p][bold]Denver's Son[/bold] wrote: Well I will stand outside the care home with a large sign if I have to. I am not going to let this care home go unmentioned for too long.[/p][/quote]No one ever listens to you what ever you do there all on each others sides, social workers, county council and the staff in the care homes they all work as a team. My mother in law is having problems with the Bupa care home in Malvern all her mothers clothes have been going missing which they shouldn't be because her daughter does her laundry, when you complain to them they seem to just be brushing it all under the carpet, my mother in laws mum has had bed sores, and within two weeks of her going into the home she was made incontinent because the staff can't be bothered to take her to the toilet, and because she's registered blind and needs help taking to the toilet. I witnessed 1 patient getting the door slammed in there face as they where shouting out for help. Its all wrong how vulnerable patients are treated, something needs to be done but no one seems to bother helping my mother in law. Its all wrong. If it was there mother or father they would be doing something about it but because its other peoples mothers and fathers they don't care. My mother in law just doesn't know where to turn to help. 17rachel
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree