Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MG NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Designer has plans to make most of Cube
7:50am Sunday 5th January 2014 in News
A GARDEN designer has produced striking plans for transforming the disputed land surrounding Malvern Cube.
Kate March, aged 29, drew up her ideas after reading about the dispute between the organisation that runs the community centre in Albert Road North and Worcestershire County Council.
She envisages landscaping the grounds to form several distinct areas which can be used at the same time by different groups of the centre’s clients. These include a wildlife haven, a toddlers’ area, an amphitheatre-like space for outdoor teaching and performances, and a skate area. When seen from above, the plan forms a butterfly shape.
Miss March said: “I got interested when I read about how the land at the Cube was under threat from a luxury home development, and I thought how much better it would be if the land remained part of the Cube and was put to really good use.”
The future of the land around the Cube – formerly Malvern Youth Centre – has been in dispute for two years.
In November 2011, the county council handed the centre over to the Malvern Youth and Community Trust, but kept back part of the land to develop for housing.
The Trust has been battling to gain control of the disputed land, saying it is important to the Cube’s long-term viability.
It received a boost earlier this year when Malvern Hills District Council turned down the county council’s planning application for houses, although the county has the option of appealing.
The plans have been on show at the Cube and manager Jon White said he wanted as much feedback from members of the public as possible.
Comments are closed on this article.