Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MG NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Morgan loses dismissal appeal
6:50pm Friday 1st November 2013 in News
CHARLES Morgan’s appeal against his dismissal from the world famous Morgan Motor Company has been rejected.
Mr Morgan’s appeal was heard on Friday, October 25 by the members of the Morgan family, who occupy four out of six remaining positions on the board.
They upheld the original decision to remove him from the management team and board of directors but the company’s managing director, Steve Morris, said the reasons were confidential.
Writing on his personal blog, Mr Morgan said: “It is incredibly disappointing news. My family and I remain very grateful for the support from Morgan fans, workers and the public since this process began.
“I have been dismissed on what I believe are very contentious grounds. Over the last 12 months, it was made increasingly clear that my philosophy to modernise Morgan did not fit with the philosophy of the current management.”
He said the company “cannot rely on its heritage alone” and he aimed to give it “a bright future as an independent company.”
Mr Morgan pointed to his achievements in introducing the brand to new markets such as China, teaming up with OAK Racing for Le Mans, engaging a new generation of fans via social media and taking part in activities like the Gumball Rally.
He added: “I look upon my business record with pride – volumes doubled during my tenure and profits for the first six months of the year had increased to £1.2 million.”
Mr Morgan, who retains a 30 per cent share in the business, said he will take time to consider his next actions before exploring other opportunities. Last month the company announced Mr Morgan’s departure, saying it needed to “strengthen” its operation in order to respond to the “scale and complexity of an increasingly global business”.
The company was founded by Mr Morgan’s grandfather H.F.S Morgan in 1909 and it is still the world’s oldest privately owned car manufacturer, producing more than 1,300 cars each year.
It employs 177 people at its factory in Pickersleigh Road, Malvern Link.
Comments are closed on this article.