Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting MG NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Man accused of rape cleared in second hearing
3:00pm Monday 14th January 2013 in News
THERE were screams from the public gallery when a 25- year-old engineer was cleared of rape.
A jury, reduced to 11 because of illness, returned a unanimous not guilty verdict on Simon Walters-Melville, of Tolladine Road, Worcester.
As the Gazette previously reported, at a previous trial a jury was unable to reach a verdict on Mr Walters-Melville, then living at Winslow View, Winslow, Bromyard.
The prosecution alleged he had taken advantage of a 25- year-old woman who was so drunk that she was unable to consent to sex.
The couple had met in March last year after drinking at various night spots in Worcester. They had shared a taxi to the woman’s home and shared a bottle of wine.
The woman complained to police that she awoke in the lounge to find Mr WaltersMelville on top of her having intercourse.
She fled upstairs and telephoned a friend and then her mother.
Mr Walters-Melville, a man of no previous convictions, said the woman kissed him and sat astride him before they had sex.
He could have fled the house but was waiting for police when they arrived and opened the door.
He claimed that she panicked after regretting sex.
Defence witnesses said the apprentice engineer was a “gentle giant”.
Barrister Simon Burns read out five testimonials at Worcester Crown Court in which Walters-Melville was described as “easy-going, respectful, kind-hearted with not a bad bone in his body”.
Mr Walters-Melville had attended a birthday party at the home of Melanie Tyler on the night of the incident before going on to a club.
Miss Tyler said: “He is one of the most caring people I’ve ever met. He is very honest and genuine and doesn’t become nasty in drink.
Simon is very generous and looks after everybody.”