Man hit by fire ball critical in hospital

Malvern Gazette: Man hit by fire ball critical in hospital Man hit by fire ball critical in hospital

A MAN is in a critical condition in hospital after he was hit by a fire ball from an out of control bonfire.

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was called to a property in Falcon Lane, in Ledbury, just before 1.30pm on Sunday to reports of a person on fire.

Two crews from Ledbury attended and joined police and ambulance staff at the address.

Station Commander Martin Lown from HWFRS said: “Crews arrived at the property to find a casualty being treated for severe burns believed to have been caused by a fire ball from an out-of-control garden bonfire.

“Due to the extent of the man’s injuries, he was flown by air ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham for treatment and he remains in hospital this morning in a critical but stable condition.”

Firefighters extinguished the bonfire and that fire investigation officers are looking to establish exactly how the man’s injuries were caused.

“The fire is being treated as accidental but it highlights the need to take extreme care if lighting a bonfire in your garden,” he said.

Commander Lown added people should light fires in a suitable spot well away from the house, wooden fences or sheds, and to burn only natural materials and should never dispose of hazardous items such as aerosol cans, spent fireworks, dry cell batteries or flammable liquids on a bonfire.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree